Lamar Choir Booster Club Meeting - May 4, 2017

In attendance: Megan Starkey, Melissa Light-Whipple, Nikki Griffin, Nancy Butlin, Jessica Son, Susan Thomason, Jessica Jennings, Maya Perez, Margaret Bridgeman, Amy Edwards, and Kim Placker

Introductions were made then Nikki shared budget information and showed how our fundraisers have done this year. We made $3918 on the Fancloth fundraiser, LaMancha-$170.46 and $401.80 from the Amy’s and Phil’s fundraiser.  Fundraising monies go to purchase items for the choir room, costumes and supplies for performances, trips, judges for contests, accompanists for shows, etc. Last year, a piano was purchased for the classroom and the year before, risers were purchased for the choir.

We discussed Seussical income.  The total was $1057.60.  Each group will receive $352.53. 

We discussed the spring show. Ms. Starkey provided flash drives with all documents needed for each committee assisting with the show.  Ms. Starkey has already gotten student volunteers from Purple Pups to work on the crew. We talked about the need to order pizza for the crew and cast on the evening of the show. Nikki will help with this.  May 19th is rehearsal at the PAC until 4:30 pm and parents need to pick students up from the PAC at that time. Tickets go on sale on May 11th at 8 am. 

Ms. Starkey shared information about the upcoming choir trip on May 13.  An itinerary will be sent home soon. 

Scottie Singers will be singing at the 8th grade graduation on May 30.  6th and 7th graders are free to leave after singing. 

Nancy Butlin shared 20 tickets and 2 food vouchers from the Alamo Drafthouse.  Ms. Starkey also shared a $25 gift card from PTerrys that can also be used for the silent auction. Ms. Starkey will also auction several outings with her. We should continue to ask businesses to donate until the end of next week and send to Nikki.  Nikki or Kim will create the bid sheets for each item. We will have students work the silent auction table before the show and during intermission. Ms. Starkey will announce the silent auction at the beginning of the show and Melissa will announce it before intermission. 

We talked about officers for next year.  Many people in attendance had already left and no one present felt they could serve as president next year.  Ms. Starkey suggested we wait until the first meeting in the fall to finalize officers, but Nikki agreed to stay on as treasurer and Jessica decided to serve as secretary next year.

Lamar Choir Booster Club Meeting - April 13, 2017

In attendance: Megan Starkey, Melissa Light-Whipple, Nikki Griffin, Nancy Butlin and Kim Placker

We decided that the Booster Club will provide ice cream sandwiches for the U.I.L. celebration on April 21st after school in the choir room.  They will have karaoke.  No other supplies are needed except wipes. Nancy will check Costco for Ms. Starkey will notify the students and parents.

Ms. Starkey gave an update on the San Antonio trip on May 13th.  85 students and 10 chaperones are attending.  The first performance time is 8 am, so students need to be at the school by 6 am.  They will then watch the orchestra performance before heading to Six Flags. There will be an awards ceremony that evening.  They should be back at the school around 10:30 pm. Once she has an address for the performance, she will send the schedule to parents.

Ms. Starkey brought her receipt from the hotel for TMEA to be reimbursed.

Ms. Starkey talked about Spring Show.  There are 3 committees she will need for parents to lead. 1. Crew Committee – Ms. Starkey would like a Purple Pups parent to handle this since they aren’t involved in the show.  This person/committee will organize student volunteers from the Purple Pups. This will include training the students to work the concession stand including setting up, taking down and working it except for accepting cash payments (only adults can work with cash). Melissa will try to find a parent to head up this committee.  2. Marketing Committee – To work on the press release and advertising for the show.  This includes providing information for businesses to purchase an ad in the program and/or tickets to the show.  Nancy and Nikki will chair this committee.3. Volunteer Committee – In charge of contacting choir parents to volunteer for various needs for the show such as donations, ticket sales, will call, concession stand, set-up and clean-up.  Kim will work on organizing a Sign-up Genius for all the needs. Melissa and Kim will greet and direct volunteers on the evening of the show. 

The 8th grade trip has been scheduled for the same day as the show, so Ms. Starkey moved the show time to begin a little later - 7:30 pm.  Students were concerned about their friends not coming because they will be tired from the trip.  Nikki suggested we sell tickets at lunch to encourage more students to attend.  This might be a challenge with having reserved seats. It was suggested we have a student section.  Ms. Starkey will look into the new system to see if she can have only the front section reserved and the rest general admission.

Nancy gave an update on the Alamo Drafthouse fundraiser.  They will offer 20 movie tickets and 2 food vouchers.  We thought we could use these as silent auction items.  Nancy and Nikki will include silent auction items when contacting businesses.

Melissa brought up the end of year celebration.  We have 143 choir students.  Ms. Starkey offered to have it here, set up a movie in one area, set up Wii in another and food items.  It will be on May 31st after school until 10 pm.  Melissa suggested we price out food trucks and restaurants such as La Mancha. 

Nikki shared the treasurers report.  She asked what information we would like to see when she shares this information each month. She said she will show how we’ve done with fundraising this year compared to last year.
                 Our next meeting is on May 4th.  We will elect 2017-18 officers at that meeting.

Lamar Choir Booster Club Meeting - March minutes

In attendance: Megan Starkey, Jocelyn Mellberg, Nicky Britton, Nancy Butlin, Margaret Bridgeman, Nikki Griffin, Jessica Son, Dalena Salo,nLydia Ortiz, and Kim Placker

Ms. Starkey asked if the club can pay the fee for the judge for solo and ensemble this Saturday. It was approved unanimously.

New York. Carnegie Hall June 24th is most likely the date we will attend in 2018.  Ms. Starkey read the letter she received about the concert production. Rehearsal would occur on day 1 & 2 with the production on day 3. The package Ms. Starkey recommends includes venue, staff, experience, preparation, lodging and transportation which is $1099 and $649 for chaperones. This does not include airfare. Nikki asked about checking into prices in case we might be able to find package deals for air and lodges. She will look into this before the first payment is due in April. Ms. Starkey shared the sample itinerary. As for chaperones, she is hoping for a 6-1 ratio. This opportunity will be offered to Scottie Singers only and not all have to attend. Ms. Starkey asked if McCallum wanted to participate and they agreed, but there are no specifics yet as to how those students will be selected. We also discussed the need to discuss fundraising and what %age of general fundraisers should go toward this event since it is only including one of the 4 choirs.

We discussed the income from Seussical and there is still some confusion as to what was purchased on Stripe...tickets and other items that were sold. For future reference, the stars were good and pictures were great for the kids, but no profit was made and it was a lot of work. It would be great if the kids can be more involved and have them sold at lunch so other students can purchase them for their friends. Concessions also did not make very much so we might want consider having parents donate and be sure to advertise what is available, especially if there are foods that can serve as dinner. We discussed different vendors we might use own the road. The posters, photos and DVDs made a good profit. At this point, it looks like we made about $1000 to be divided between the 3 groups.

For the year, we have brought in more than $6000. The current balance is not accurate because we need to pay for a few items. We discussed upcoming ways to spend our funds. Ms. Starkey will cover the Carnegie trip down payment, but has a list of Spring Show items the Booster Club can fund.

We discussed the Alamo Drafthouse fundraiser. Nancy was finally able to get in touch with someone and there are three options. 1) They can donate tickets and food and beverage tokens for up to 12 people. 2) We ask for a specific movie and time, then need to pay for the rights to the movie. 3) Pick one of their already established movies and times. Beauty and the Beast is an option for a Saturday morning screening and we will get a profit from those who purchase tickets. We all agreed on option 3 and Nancy will finalize the plans.

Ms. Starkey said we had silent auction baskets last year for the Spring Show and it brought in a lot of money. She asked if we want to do this again. There were mixed feelings because it is a lot of work to get the baskets together without having to spend a lot to make them complete. We thought just silent auction items like gift cards would be better.

Our next meeting is on April 13th at 6:30 pm..

Lamar Choir Booster Club Meeting - February 2, 2017

In attendance: Megan Starkey, Jessica Son, Melissa Light, Dalena Salo and Kim Placker

Ms. Starkey shared scholarship applications for us to review and we approved unanimously.

We discussed Seussical and the income. We have not received the final counts from theater and dance.  There were also some issues with the DVDs and those who paid with credit cards because it was the same price as tickets and the system doesn’t show the item name.  Hopefully, everyone who ordered and paid also wrote their name on a paper at that booth.  We will also check with Nikki to be sure the money from the stars were deposited. Ms. Starkey said ticket sales went really well with over $7000 online and about $800 each night.  Once all receipts are turned in for make-up and the tech people, that number will definitely go down. 

We had a nice discussion about the stars, both the cost and concept.  We agreed this would be good to continue because it gave all the students a nice keepsake from the show.  However, we should continue to be sure each picture has several stars to be sure ALL students receive nice accolades.  Maybe the musical theater can be in charge of sales ahead of time next year so they also have the opportunity to purchase them for their friends.

Ms. Starkey is excited about Region on Saturday.  They have a clinic all day, then perform at 4 pm.  Students should be at the school by 8 am to ride the bus to the PAC.  Otherwise, they

We discussed the spring show.  The them is Broadway Musical Magic.  The dress rehearsal is on May 19 from 12:30-4:30 pm and the show is on May 25th. Solo and Ensemble will be held on Saturday, March 4.  We need to start thinking about the tasks to accomplish for the show.  At the last meeting, we agreed the Booster Club will pay for the props for the show.  Ms. Starkey hasn’t decided on all the music so she doesn’t have a full list yet, but she knows she wants items for a chimney sweep.  She also asked about character shoes for the Pop Choir.  There are 16 girls.  We agreed she should go ahead and order 20 after getting the sizes for each member.

Lamar Choir Booster Club Meeting - January 12, 2017

In attendance: Megan Starkey, Jessica Son, Nikki Griffin and Kim Placker

We discussed the items needed to get ready for Seussical next week. Choir is in charge of making the star board for the show. Ms. Starkey is taking head shots of each cast and crew member.  Ms. Starkey will purchase the items needed (large paper, double sided tape.)  We will need to make about 800 stars for people to purchase, write notes and place around picture of their choice. Nikki, Melissa and Kim will meet at 6 pm at the PAC on Tuesday evening to attach the photos to large heavy paper or cardstock. We need to find out which type of clips are needed to hang the pictures on the boards at the PAC.

We discussed setting up transportation since students need to get to the PAC right after school on Tuesday, then at 5 pm on Wed. and Thurs.  Ms. Starkey will set up a Google doc for parents to request and offer transportation.

Jessica will send a message in Charms to be sure parents know about the time changing to noon arrival for practice on Monday.

We still do not have a definite time/date/location for the cast party.  Ms. Starkey sent a message in Google Classroom asking who had expressed interest in hosting. Once a host is determined, the date and time will be set, but it will most likely be held the Friday after the show.

Nikki shared copies of the balance sheet and income statement and we discussed items related to the budget:

-Ms. Starkey finally received the FanCloth bill, so we were able to determine we made $2303 on this fundraiser.

-Nikki said we are still missing the check from Amy’s for $98, but received a check from Phil’s for $303. ---Parent Booster USA dues were paid over winter break.

-Ms. Starkey will attend the TMEA conference in Feb.  She will pay for her hotel, then provide the receipt for reimbursement.

-Ms. Starkey requested a check for the accompanist to be paid $150.

-We discussed ways to spend our funds.  Ms. Starkey suggested we provide more scholarships for the end of year trip and the committee agreed. Nikki suggested we purchase the items needed for performances (such as boas) instead of asking parents to do so.  Ms. Starkey has already started a list of needed items for the spring show. 

Lamar Choir Booster Club Meeting - December 1, 2016

In attendance: Melissa Light, Megan Starkey, Jessica Son, Dalena Salo, Sarah Starnes,         Nancy Butlin, Margaret Bridgeman, Nikki Griffin and Kim Placker

Dalena motioned that the Booster club pay for the hotel fees for Ms. Starkey when she attends the TMEA conference in February.  It was seconded and the vote was in favor unanimously.

We still need drivers for the holiday concert.  We only have 44 seats filled and closer to 164 are needed. Jessica will resend the email tomorrow requesting more drivers.  Ms. Starkey will send a private transportation form home with all students.  Once we have all the drivers listed, another email will be sent for parents/students to sign up to ride in a particular car.

For the Rosedale event, there are 28 seats of 41 covered.  Ms. Starkey can ask Rosedale to send their bus to help with transportation if we don’t get enough drivers.

Nikki reviewed the budget. The report does not include the payment to Fancloth or the $1000 check from them. It also does not include the silent auction items.  She will work with Melissa after the meeting to get an update on the silent auction.

The two fundraisers coming up are Phil’s/Amy’s and Alamo Drafthouse.  Phil’s/Amy’s is scheduled for Monday, Dec. 5th and has already been advertised. We need to continue to remind people to say they are with the Lamar Choir when they place their order.  The Alamo Drafthouse fundraiser is still in the planning stages with no date set yet.

Secret Santa parties are coming up with the A-day party on Tues., Dec. 19th and B-day party on Tues., Dec. 20th during choir class.  Parents are invited to attend.  In addition, Ms. Starkey will be decorating the choir room tomorrow (Friday, Dec. 2) after school and choir students are welcome to attend.

The spring trip to San Antonio is on May 13.  Ms. Starkey is still working on getting an invoice for the transportation. Once she has this, she will send out the permission slip and payment information.  The performances start at 8 am.  Once they are over, they will head to Six Flags. They will then go to the award ceremony that evening before returning to Austin. This year the Pop Choir will also be included for this trip.

Nikki said our taxes are due and she gathered the contact information needed to submit the paperwork. In addition, we will need to pay for booster club membership after the new year.  She will take care of both of these items for us. 

We discussed the winter concert.  We need to determine the seats and parking spaces that need to be reserved.  We need cones to block off the spaces.  Sarah and Nancy offered to bring cones. Melissa will call the PAC and ask if they have cones we can use for this purpose. Dalena also volunteered to make RESERVED signs to place on the seats and will be reimbursed for the cost of the materials.  We will section off the reserved seats and the rest will be first come, first served.

Choir Booster Club Meeting - November 10, 2016

In attendance:  Amy Edwards, Megan Starkey, Jessica Son,           Leland Smith, Kim Placker, Melissa Light

Our next fundraiser is on Dec. 5 at Phil’s and Amy’s.  A portion of the proceeds from sales the entire day will benefit the Lamar Choir.  Karoke will happen from 6-8 pm.  Amy will make a flyer for this event and get the word out. 

For the winter show on Dec. 15, we need to organize a carpool to get students to the PAC.  Booster Club will also purchase pizza for the students for dinner.  In the email about the carpool, we will ask parents to let us know about any diet restrictions.  We will also purchase water bottles for the students. In addition, signs are needed for the parking spaces and the reserved seats for those silent auction items.  Ms. Starkey also recommended we purchase gift cards for the three students who will be playing percussion during the concert.

On the Saturday, Nov. 26, Scottie Singers will ride and sing on a float in the Chuy’s Parade.

On Dec. 5, the Lamar Fine Arts Showcase will be held at the PAC during the school day.  Scottie Singers will perform.

Each week, the Fancloth organization selects one group to receive an additional $1000 and we were selected to receive these funds.  Ms. Starkey has already received the check.

We discussed the possibility of paying hotel fees for Ms. Starkey to attend the music convention in Feb. Currently, the school pays for the registration fees, but she pays for the hotel out of her own pocket.  We will look into policies to see the best way to help her with this and will discuss again at the next meeting.

Melissa is working on getting all the funds collected for the silent auction items from our La Mancha social.

October 6, 2016

In attendance:  Megan Starkey, Melissa B. Light, Kim Placker, Peggy Dieterich, Amy Edwards, Raman Gull, Dalena Salo, Nancy Butlin, Sabrina Wallace, Margaret Bridgeman, Nikki Griffin, and Dvorah Ben-Moshe

Introductions

Melissa shared information about the Booster club and asked for volunteers for Fundraising Chair.  

Ms. Starkey shared information about how funds are used. The recent Fancloth fundraiser will bring in around $3000.  Short-term goals include providing 10 scholarships for the end of the year trip to San Antonio, which is about $900.  A long-term goal would be to get more risers, but for now it hasn’t been a problem because she has been able to access the AISD PAC for performances. 

For the musical, the work and funds will be split between all 3 groups: choir, theater and dance.  We discussed ideas for items to sell at Seussical which include auctioning signed posters, signed pictures of the cast, selling notes for $1 for people to purchase, sign and post for cast members.  We also discussed selling approximately 10 “quick escape” parking spaces.

Amy Edwards and Nancy Butlin volunteered to co-chair Fundraising.  We have several fundraisers that worked last year that we will most likely attempt again.  Nancy is a musician and suggested we use musician contacts to support our group.  Brentwood did something called “Brentwood Rocks” and more ideas were shared.  This could be our own ACL.  We would need to get permission from the principal to have it on campus and get it on the calendar before moving forward with the idea.

We now have partnerships with the Texas Performing Arts and Zach Scott to call on for tickets/support.  Dvorah Ben-Moshe suggested we ask for venues to provide space in support of our arts program and would also like to see a partnership with the deaf community. 

Ms. Starkey has arranged for a get to know you social at La Mancha for parents to get more involvement.  The date will be determined soon.

Meeting Minutes 3/3/16

Solo/Ensemble

  • Judge payment - $210

Playland Fundraiser

  • Saturday April 2

  • 10am - 12pm

  • Invite EVERYONE!

  • Need to fill out green fundraiser form

UIL

  • April 6th & 7th at the PAC

  • No schedule available yet

    • Most likely - SS/TD on the 6th, DD on the 7th (hopefully AM)

  • Parents are welcome to come sit in the auditorium and listen if they are available during the day - you can also ride the bus with us.

UIL Ice Cream Party

  • Ice Cream

  • Toppings

  • Sauces

  • Whipped Cream

  • Bowls

  • Spoons

  • Table Cloths

  • Coolers/Ice?

  • Set-Up/Clean-Up (Starkey will set up using VolunteerSpot)

  • Merrell Anne and Lydia volunteered to pick up all the ice cream stuff at HEB on the day of.

Purple Pups Show

  • April 19th

  • Lamar Cafeteria

  • Other students can help with this show (lights, sound, curtain, etc.) for NJHS hours or also to count towards their FAA performance requirement. Dress Rehearsal is from 3:30-5:30 - Concert at 6pm.

South Padre Trip

  • Rough Itinerary in the works. View it HERE

Spring Show

  • Waiting to hear from George about using McCallum Facilities

  • Also if it will be one night or two depending on when the 8th grade advancement ceremony is scheduled.

  • If we have to do it all on one night, it will (hopefully) be in the MA

Party for Incoming Parents

  • Lydia Ortiz helping to plan

  • May 6th - proposed date

  • La Mancha - proposed venue

    • **UPDATE: Starkey talked to Rudy (GM @ La Mancha) - he said that he could get us into the back room. Said May 3rd or 4th may be better (the 5th is Cinco de Mayo and they will be really busy; Fridays are usually super busy also). 

New Business

  • Starkey wants a new electric piano for the choir room. The old one is on its last leg of life. New piano somewhere in the $5,000-$6,000 range. AISD might also agree to match our contribution and pay for half. 

Meeting Minutes 2/4/16

  • Treasurer's Report
  • Cinderella
    • Need someone to set up Volunteer Spot page
      • Ticket Sales - 2 each night
      • Will Call - 1 each night
      • Posters - 1 each night
      • Concessions - 2 each night (could be students)
      • Concession Coupons - 1 each night
    • Concessions & Taxes
      • According to the comptrollers website, concessions are exempt from paying "after-the-fact" sales tax
      • Instead of selling individual items, we will sell coupons that can be exchanged for concession items
    • Autographed Cinderella posters are available for pre-sale on the Choir website
  • Playland Skating Fundraiser
    • April 2 - 10am-12pm
    • NOT open to the public so we need to spread the word. The first 60 people pay for the rink - we don't make any money until we have more than 60.
    • Starkey will submit a Master Calendar Request so that the information can go out in the WAAG, Newsletter, etc.
    • Melissa will submit the Fundraiser request form so that we can ask permission to post flyers about the event around school
  • Alamo Drafthouse Fundraiser
    • Melissa hasn't heard back from the ADH lady so we are assuming it isn't happening
  • Fancloth Fundraiser $$
    • Being used to reimburse the Choir Activity Account for Scholarships totaling $1,050
  • Upcoming Booster Club Funds needed for:
    • UIL Accompanist (TBD)
    • Post-UIL Ice Cream Party - Friday April 8
      • Booster Club will pay for all party items

Meeting Minutes 11/5/15

  1. Fancloth Fundraiser
    • Meeting this weekend to enter paper orders online
    • Saturday morning?
    • $22 Pre-sort option
      • Mrs. Jackson moved that we vote, Sabrina seconded - approved
    • Need parents to look through bags the day things arrive to make sure that everything is accounted for.
  2. Phil's/Amy's Fundraiser - Monday 11/9
    • Anyone can go at ANY TIME during the day and say they are there for Lamar Choir
    • % of fundraiser is higher depending on how many people "check-in 
    • 3 different events/meetings on Monday - fliers (talk to Llewellyn)
    • Open until 11
    • Kids will be able to sing karaoke outside
      • Sabrina will bring hats to pass around
      • The kids who sing will benefit from the money donated
  3. Setting up a carpool for the Winter Concert
    • Mrs. Jackson will set up a Google Spreadsheet

Meeting Minutes 10/1/15

1. Good News

Ms starkey was able to afford 8 sets of risers, once they are delivered, she will need handy folks to help put them together and figure out if we will be able to order 4 more sets that will be left in the hallway when not in use.

2. Treasurer's Report

The booster club has raised more than $3100 this year.  according to ms starkey's numbers, it is actually closer to $4000.  the club currently has $5971.19.  plus $900 more if ms starkey's numbers are correct.  last year the booster club had closer to $100 in savings!

3. There is a new website: lamarchoir.squarespace.com is the way to access it until the domain host switches over the domain.  you will find the calendar, charms, make payments, etc...through this new site.

4. Voice Lessons

Brittany Trinite wanted to introduce herself as the voice lesson teacher. You can even contact her and make payments through the new website. If you are interested, she can be contacted at triniteb@gmail.com or (512)924-3672

5. Fundraiser

-Fancloth! fundraiser starts on October 26 for two weeks.  This fundraiser will be used to help pay for scholarships for the padre trip and maybe offset the price of the trip for all of the students if enough funds are raised.  Do we set a minimum amount for each child to sell? How will the funds be allocated for the kids in need of scholarship?

The club needs to get links for the fancloth merch in: the scottie newsletter, WAAG, FB page, charms and neighborhood newsletters.

-Discussion of another fundraiser/social: movie and sing along in a park free with donated snacks for sale or potluck in the park with performances. to be discussed further to help off set price of padre trip for students who participate.

6. Upcoming Events
Homecoming (10/5/)
All City Choir (10/24 & 10/29)
Scottie Singer Gigs
-Possible performance at PAC, night before holiday show (Monday night)
-Brentwood, ARTA (during school)
-Chuy's Christmas Parade, Capital Tree lighting